Chat Write Man Woman

Self Electrocution

with 4 comments

Long ago and far away, a friend of mine and I discussed the interesting coincidence that the two of us, as well as many people we knew at university and considered “smart” had had some type of childhood run-in with an ungrounded electrical current. We pondered whether having been zapped at a young age contributed to our genius. (We had consumed a few beers by this point in the conversation, so forgive our arrogance.)

Then today I ran across this article in The New Scientist that suggests that electrical current to the brain can help us achieve “flow” state much earlier in our training in a specific skill. So now I’m wondering: How many of YOU have been zapped, either intentionally or unintentionally, by electrical current. Any good stories to share?

Advertisements

Written by Jennifer

February 21, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Posted in Kids, life

4 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. I’ve been jolted a good many times but all in my teen years as I recollect. Started with a human circuit science class experiment, then wet feet + shorted appliance = handle you cannot let go of, and finally the stupidest and biggest jolt when I plugged in my hair drier without thinking that my fingers touching metal prongs was problematic. Zow! Am I smart or dumb, I ask you.

    Amy

    February 22, 2012 at 3:30 pm

  2. Oh, of course I’ve been zapped unintentionally. That shouldn’t be a surprise. My family as a whole has a somewhat checkered history with electricity. It’s part of my, perhaps inherited, propensity to dive in and try to do projects myself, despite a lack of any sort of prior knowledge. I believe all of the occurrences have been in my adult life, so I suspect it was too late to make me a genius. The fact that most of said zaps were immediately followed by another zap from doing exactly the same thing probably confirms that electricity has not made me smarter.

    Bill

    March 1, 2012 at 4:06 pm

    • I knew my theory was full of holes 🙂

      Jennifer

      March 2, 2012 at 7:55 am


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: